Saturday, September 15, 2012

Write what you know. Is that good advice?

I was working on an article tonight and had to do some research to verify some information. Suddenly a phrase popped into my thoughts.

Write what you know.

I'd heard that advice in high school; heard it again in college; heard it once or twice during my graduate studies; read it on the web.

Now I'm wondering, should I be writing about this particular subject?

"Wait a minute," this voice in my head said. "If you write only about what you know, why do you need an imagination?"

Think about it.

Did Lewis Carroll know about what it was like to fall down a rabbit hole?

Did Clement Clarke Moore actually have to meet Santa Claus to describe him so endearingly? 

How many vampires did Bram Stoker run into before he created Dracula?

How much science fiction and fantasy would we enjoy if we had to know everything about other worlds?

See where I'm going with this?

Now, if I have a character who is undergoing a surgical procedure, I would have to do a lot of research to get the procedures accurately on the page. I still wouldn't know how to perform them but I'd could write about them.

I guess if you're writing a memoir, it's best to know what you write, or at least write about what you THINK you know.

So to all those people who told me, who told you, I say go ahead, fall down a rabbit hole before you pen your version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but make sure you're female because otherwise ...







3 comments:

  1. Heу therе! I κnoω thiѕ iѕ someωhat οff
    toρic but I was wondегing whіch blog platform аre yоu uѕing for thiѕ wеbsіtе?

    I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've hаd problemѕ ωith hаckeгs anԁ I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.
    my web site > rmgbd.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using google's blogspot.com (blogger) but I don't know if it's suitable for what you do on your site. It's free, of course, so it might be worth a try. Some months ago, I set up a free site on webs.com for a friend ... It's a good place to try out their interface which is the what you see is what you get format, very easy. If you like it, they have a pretty reasonable price schedule.

      Delete
  2. Admiring the dedication you put into your blog and detailed information you present.
    It's good
    to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the
    same unwanted rehashed information. Excellent
    read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to
    my Google account.
    My web site - Go to my website

    ReplyDelete