Thursday, February 14, 2013

Doubts, second thoughts, dissatisfaction

I wonder if other writers have the same problem I have. It seems I’m never satisfied with my finished manuscripts.

I know I write fast, furiously sometimes (often). Then, when I’ve come to the end of a novel, I let it sit for a while, understanding full well that it will need a lot of work.

I’m almost always working on more than one project at a time, so when I get back to the first pass of a work, I spend a lot of time fleshing it out.

Most of the time I’m happy with the results but in the back of my mind, there are always the questions: Is it really good enough? Are my characters fully developed? Did I get too far away from the plot? Will the reader like it?

I just put the last period in Sister Death, my second Andrew Atkins novel and before I start formatting it for ebook, I’m going to do some research to see how other writers feel when they add that last punctuation mark to a work.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment