Friday, June 15, 2018

Where or where have 18 months gone?

A year-and-a-half ago, I input my last blog. The subject matter was New Year's resolutions, and I listed five things I planned to do but did not resolve to do. Here's the list I was considering:

  • DRINK MORE WATER 
  • EAT MORE CHOCOLATE 
  • READ MORE BOOKS 
  • BREATH MORE AIR 
  • LISTEN TO GOOD MUSIC

I ended the list by stating I might post a follow-up now and again -- that didn't happen.

The 18 months passed as timely as 18 months should. In that time, I did manage to carry out most of the list.

(The biggest disappointment was the music promise. The battery gave out on my trusty Ipod classic so I could no longer carry it with me on long walks or don its earphones while checking email and scanning facebook. Luckily I was able to pick up a used Ihome at the thrift shop next door so I can still use the Ipod. Also, since I bought a new phone, I transferred a lot of my music to my old cell and I now use that as my walking music player.)

 One thing I did not expect to do during that time, and it became one of the biggest contributors to lack of input on the blog, was learning to use Wordpress. Also, I returned to my second favorite pastime (art), designing t-shirts for Amazon. I guess it's a matter of focus. (I do tend to spend a lot of time on new projects, often neglecting old ones.)

I'm still not sure how much effort I'll manage here because I did discover that blogging, like building websites, took time away from other writing, which does not please me. Just last week, I opened my backup laptop and looked at the list of unfinished work sitting in a documents folder, saved for later updates --- two non-fiction books, three novels (one nearly complete, one in rough draft and one in outline form) and a dozen short stories I planned to put together in a collection. This is not good, especially when that list gets added to the miscellaneous writing in progress on this desktop.

That said, I'm going to pretend today is the beginning of the new year. I put a few sticky notes on the desktop with reminders to share time between all projects and to walk away from the computer more often. Perhaps I'm relearning the discipline one has when involved with the work force. I'm not sure I want to bring all of that back because I enjoy the impromptu life too much. However, I have already opened the oldest novel to read and refresh my train of thoughts and look forward to seeing where all this leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment