Friday, April 15, 2011

Duplicate book titles

I don’t know how other authors do it, but when I start writing a novel, I usually get about three chapters into it before I come up with a tentative title. (Right now, I have six works in progress, all with working titles.) As the work progresses, I keep that title in mind.

The title for The Mine came instantly and never changed. To me, it was perfect! Now, when I finished formatting the text for kindle, I uploaded it to Amazon. Only then did I discover another book with the same title! I know there are plenty of books with identical titles: it’s not a crime, but it can confuse the reader.


When I started writing Desert of Deceit, I started out with just a one word title: Deceit. That didn’t quite satisfy me, and as I was working on the rewrite, I revised the title, twice, settling on Desert of Deceit.

Wouldn’t you know? There’s another book with an identical title.

One positive note: Neither of my titles is in the same genre as the other two with like titles.

The manuscript I’m reworking now has a tentative title. I’m not even going to mess with it until I get to the end. Then, before considering changes, I’ll do some research.

They say “The third time’s a charm.” I hope on the third book, I’ll not run into dupes!

No comments:

Post a Comment