Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Setting aside a day for reading

I usually have two books open and available for reading at all times. One sits on the nightstand by my bed; the other on the coffee table, next to my laptop. But my reading is sporadic, squashed in between meditation, walking, writing, dusting, and eating.

All this is a far cry from long ago when I would devour a book without thinking about the stereotypical tasks of life that should be attended to ... things like washing the dishes, vacuuming, answering mail or calling friends.

Yesterday, I decided there was something fundamentally wrong with the way I have been treating my recreational reading, and I determined to do something about it. After all, a writer should read as much as possible.

I've set Tuesdays aside for nothing reading.

I've just finished the book on the coffee table: The Brain that Changes Itself The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge, M.D.(loaned to me by a friend) and I'm now picking up Deception: An Alex Delaware Novel by Jonathan Kellerman (purchased because Kellerman is one of my favorite fast-read mystery writers.)

I think this is  going to work out well. Of course, I'll still read sporadically, but now I won't feel guilty about reading just one more paragraph before getting back to the mundane.

No comments:

Post a Comment