Saturday, April 9, 2011

Life without internet

A couple of days after my last post my access to the internet hit a roadblock. There I was, cruising along at a moderate speed (my DSL connection is just a few miles per hour above dial-up) when all of a sudden, my browser informed me "The page cannot be displayed."

Having been in a similar situation before, I performed the usual tricks. Disconnected the router, the modem, shut down the laptop, checked to make sure the phone was working, waited, restarted everything.

Nothing.

The next step: Call my provider.

Usually I can expect immediate help, but this time, response took a detour. My tech guy was stalled at another call and couldn't make it to our appointment the first day, I was going out of town the second, so two days crawled by before Pistol and I greeted him at the front door. It took two hours to determine that the phone company had made some changes that disabled my connection.
Pistol, waiting by the door.

I can live comfortably without television, can go a day without food (well, maybe not my morning coffee), wouldn't miss the phone if it went out for a while but life without the internet?

I use the net to research everything, to stay in touch with friends and relatives by email and social networks, to find phone numbers, directions and products. to make reservations, to pay bills, and, of course, to post to my blog.

Luckily, I still have music to listen to, books to read, a word processor to work on writing, friends to visit and the great outdoors to explore. Life does go on without the internet, but I sure did miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment