Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The future of the bookstore

I’m really fortunate to be a participant in a local group call the Antiquarian Book Guild. The members either own or have owned independent bookstores, or are long-time book collectors, or are book restorers. Me? I’m just an apprentice. That’s why I consider myself lucky.

The guild meets once a month for dinner at local Las Vegas restaurants to exchange ideas, discuss specific topics, and, of course, enjoy each others company.

At the last get-together, the topic under discussion was The Future of the Bookstore. In light of the recent mega-store closures or pending bankruptcies, the question was timely and pertinent.

Being devoted and passionate about their trade, the booksellers affirmed that the small, independent stores will flourish, not necessarily because the powerful competitions are failing, but because people who love to read print books and collect their favorites, have not gone belly-up.

Personally, I prefer a neighborhood bookstore, particularly the used and antiquarians. I visit them frequently because not only do I get a chance to find old classics, authors new to me, my favorites (genre and author), but I get an education. The sellers talk to me, enlighten me and teach me.

I’m wondering, what do you think about the future of the brick-and-mortar bookstore? Take the poll above and I’ll pass your thoughts on to the group.

(P.S.) This is my first attempt at polling. As I figure out how to post more than one question, I'll try again. I just hope this one works!)

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your post. It’s a lot like college – we should absorb everything we can but ultimately you need to take what you’ve learned and apply it.
    Car Air Conditioner

    ReplyDelete