Monday, December 20, 2010

What are your favorite verbs?

I was going through one of my unfinished manuscripts yesterday, looking for a particular incident I’d described. Since I wasn’t sure exactly what I was looking for, I did a partial word search and eventually found the section. While examining each result, I highlighted several with the processor’s yellow marker. I wanted to go back to these areas to flesh them out, give them more spice, if you will.

This got me to thinking (Yes, I'm easily distracted.)about ways to add impact to particular scenes, which eventually led to thinking about action verbs and how they can improve my writing.

Here’s example: He sat on the chair looking like a wilted flower.

Not much excitement in that sentence, is there? I reworked it a couple of times, finally settling on this (for now): As he slumped into the chair, he withered, like a wilted flower thirsting for a reprieving rain.

I liked that verb, withered, and thinking this, I wondered (distracted again?) what other words I might like to use. The answer came easily, resulting in this short list.

Wither
Melt
Fade
Stroke
Splatter
Slump
Mimic
Scrawl
Shove
Grapple
Smack

I’m still mulling this over (Oh, I should add mull to the list), attempting to uncover my all-time (or at least current time) favorite verb.

What’s yours?

1 comment:

  1. I tend to MAUNDER, and NATTER, but when I can't remember how to DETAIL something, I TEND to GOOGLE it.

    ReplyDelete