Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Where is your plot going?

Some writers start their work without knowing how it will end. Others have a structure in mind that includes a beginning and an ending, sometimes jotting that structure into a notepad or word processor or on index cards. Really organized writers (I’m not one of them.) create outlines that include some or much of their entire novel – plot, transitions, characters, asides, scenes – then write within that framework.

Maybe I should ask: Where is your peacock going?

I usually know how my novel will end before I know how it will begin – no outlines, no character studies, no time lines. I don’t recommend this method to others because it usually requires quite a bit of rewrite and edit. But it works for me because once the words start bouncing around in my head, they don’t stop until I’m too tired to type them.

My friend BettyJean Steinshouer introduced me to this year’s NaNoWriMo challenge – 50,000 words in 30 days, and because I write fast, I had no trouble finishing withing the time limit. I bring this up because during the contest, I trolled around the site, checked out some blogs, read some posts, answered some questions, and somehow (don’t’ remember how) came upon the Paperback Writer's Fiction Blog. Eventually, I came across this plotting post for novels.

It’s something to think about … maybe it will help your peacock figure out where she’s going.

No comments:

Post a Comment